Students wanted to create a more natural environment for the chickens and ducks. The chickens have been in a horse stall for a year and the ducks have been in a concrete pen for over 13 years. The current living conditions have caused medical issues for the ducks and socialization issues for both the chickens and ducks.
I learned what enrichment means when working with chickens and ducks.
I learned that ducks get ‘bubble feet’ from being on concrete all the time and never being on grass or dirt.
I learned that all eggs laid by chickens and ducks are not fertilized.
I connected with this project as part of my SAE when a friend was interested in working with the chickens and ducks and I thought it was a good idea.
Even though I know this project won’t be completed this year, I would like to see it to fruition after I graduate. I plan on coming back and working on it when possible and hopefully taking the project even further by eventually setting up a roadside farmer’s stand with other students to sell the duck and chicken eggs along with the vegetables and flowers that are grown at our school.
I would have probably done more research and planning at the beginning of the project. We ended up waiting until the third/fourth quarter. I would tell myself to get busier so more of the project could have been completed this year.
The thing that I am most proud of is that we have a blueprint for the upcoming seniors to move forward. I am also proud of the communication between group members and teachers in working on this project.
I hope community members find this project useful and will perhaps find an interest in helping with their time or donations to help this become the best place for our ducks and chickens.
Students and administrators at Butler Tech can submit their projects to us for inclusion on the website. Please only submit projects with appropriate content and that are clearly documented with instructions and outlines, including photos and other references to help readers.